Monday, October 5, 2015

Readers Review - Ezra T. Grey (Nephilim Resurrected: The Beelzebub Factor)

It's been a while since I received this book from the author. Usually, I don't wait that long before I write a review, but this book really gave me a headache. I needed time to think it all over before I wrote anything. But first, let me review the book:

Ezra T. Gray has written an action-packed story, and the theme is the everlasting fight between good and evil. The first scene in the book hauls you right into the center of a fight between tree hooded creatures and a single man. And from that point on, the story's just increasing speed and intensity as the plot evolves.

As the plot unfolded before my eyes (and mind) it appeared that the fight was against Satan and his rebellious right hand, Beelzebub. Mankind stands on the brink of extinction. The Greatest Evil Of All Times are about to unleash hordes of demons to ensure the success of an unholy and unspeakable act: The recreation of the long gone race, The Nephilims - half demons and half human. Now it's up to a small group of holy men, to fight these beasts with whatever weapon they have available. It's an uneven fight and the defeat of these brave men seems inevitably. But things are not what they seem to be, and the demons have their own internal battle to fight. The question, whether or not mankind will survive this epic battle against the greatest threat in history, remain unanswered, since this book is the first volume in a trilogy. 

If you are going to read 'The Beelzebub Factor' you might want to stop reading now, since my personal comments might reveals some highlights from the book.

This book was really well-written and hard to let go once I've begun reading. Although I'd fully enjoyed the story, I couldn't help but fell something didn't add up. The story lost me, when our protagonists are brought to the center of Beelzebub deep under the surface of the earth. Knowing that demons are evil spirits, it seem unnecessary to let them use physical technology, no matter how sophisticated it might be. Making a connection between UFO's and demons, seem highly unlikely.

Another thing that seems too unreal, is the lack of intelligence the demons shows throughout the history. According to all I've ever learned about these evil spirits, their nature, power and intellects are far superior compared to humans. Making them vulnerable to human weapons (although they've been blessed), is just not likely at all. And making them dumber than humans, considering their long lifespan, going way back before the creation of the human race, is not even possible. Satan and the demons have other flaws in their personalities (haughtiness and lack of empathy, just to mention a few), but lack of intelligence and power are certainly not among them. I'm sorry, but I don't buy that.

As I wrote in the beginning, this book is captivating and really well written, and if it hadn't been because of this particular theme, I'd really feel entertained. But as the story turns out, it lost its credibility. I have great respect for Ezra T. Gray, and I really wish I'd been able to write something more complimentary, but not this time. I'm sorry Ezra...

No comments:

Post a Comment